Miami Mayor To Trump: Don’t Come For Debate Unless You’re Covid-Free
Miami Mayor Francis X. Suarez (R) asked President Donald Trump to stay away from his city, which is scheduled to hold the next presidential debate on Oct. 15, until Trump no longer has the coronavirus, amid the president’s statements that he looks forward to attending..
US President Donald Trump takes off his facemask as he arrives at the White House upon his return … [+]
AFP via Getty Images
In an interview with Politico, Suarez said he doesn’t believe it’s safe for Trump to travel to Miami until he tests negative for Covid-19.
The second presidential debate is scheduled for Oct. 15 in Miami.
Both Trump, 74, and Biden, 78, are planning to attend the debate, with Biden’s campaign saying “all necessary precautions” need to be taken.
Trump could still be contagious at the time of the debate, which is scheduled for 13 days after the president announced his positive coronavirus test.
The CDC advises a quarantine period of 14 days, though severe cases could come with a contagious period of up to 20 days.
“I don’t think it’s safe, not for him and anybody else, anywhere or anyone he interacts with,” Suarez told Politico.
Trump was hospitalized at Walter Reed Medical Center over the weekend after experiencing a fever and requiring supplemental oxygen at the White House on Friday. Trump said his treatment at the hospital quickly improved his condition and that he “felt great.” Trump left Walter Reed Medical Center on Monday, returning to the White House in a display that included him removing his mask for a photo op. That move and others, like requesting to return to the Oval Office on Tuesday, have been met with criticism. Trump is still contagious with Covid-19 and White House Physician Dr. Sean Conley has said that Trump “may not entirely be out of the woods yet.”
17. That’s how many days it took for Suarez to get a negative test after he contracted Covid-19 earlier this year. He remained isolated until receiving the negative test.
What To Watch For
The second presidential debate may have further safety measures in place, such as plexiglass separating the two candidates, or perhaps even with the candidates in separate rooms. Other changes to the debate format might have less to do with health and more to do with demeanor, though. The Commission on Presidential Debates is reportedly considering the ability to cut off candidates’ microphones, after the first debate was filled with interruption, largely by Trump, that led many pundits to consider it the worst presidential debate of all time.