Stocks notch seven straight months of gains, dollar flat
- MSCI ACWI ends at 3rd straight record high
- Wall Street, European shares close lower
- Dollar trades near breakeven, oil slips
- All eyes on Friday’s U.S. jobs report
- Graphic: Global asset performance http://tmsnrt.rs/2yaDPgn
NEW YORK/LONDON, Aug 31 (Reuters) – A gauge of global equities posted its seventh consecutive month of gains and a record closing high on Tuesday, but stocks and the dollar mostly ended the day little changed after U.S. and Chinese economic data suggested slower growth ahead.
Markets were subdued in quiet end-of-summer trading as investors wait for a U.S. jobs report for August on Friday that could shape how soon the Federal Reserve begins to withdraw its support of the economy when it begins to taper bond buying.
Data on Tuesday wasn’t inspiring. U.S. consumer confidence fell to a six-month low in August as soaring COVID-19 infections and rising inflation dampened the…